Sunday, October 3, 2010

On Planning of a Novel: World Building One

My first thoughts for my novel was a jumbled mess of concepts and ideas. To put it lightly I knew I wanted fantasy adventures and I wanted ultra-action. That is to say I wanted to write something fun and to have fun writing it.

I started by thinking some random things I would want in a novel for me to have fun with. I decided that magic, steam-based technology, and zombies would be pretty sweet to fit together. I let my interest guide my ideas.

After running these ideas over and over again in my head I started to think about how all those things could fit together as I wanted them to. I started off with a single idea--the airship. This single thought acted like a seed. After I started thinking of my world like a swash buckling adventure.

I asked questions like: how would you defend a city from a floating fortress? How would an army with magic and technology fight? What would people in a would like this look like?

From there I started studying, collecting, and cataloging pictures from the internet to reference as I created my world. I would Google image search things like: steampunk, fantasy, dragon, magic, troll, airship... etc. I also started looking into art from the 1700's (an era I choose to set my technology on). So I went to the local library and read everything that I had a gap in understanding for.

For example I read a book of 18th century navy ships. I contained drawings of ships by floors, uniform descriptions, and history of important battles. From this I gained a detailed look at how the warfare of the time would work.

The end result was something workable and interesting to me, but it was nothing more than a series of concepts.

To put them together I would need the people to live there and how they would look and interact...

No comments:

Post a Comment