Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Searching for Meaning After College

I have been locked away in what now seems like a tall tower. College is over and now I have to make good on all the dreams and promises I was working for over the last four years. That along with the pressure to do something good with my life leaves me with the question, "Well, what now?"



It has been a month and three days as of this writing and I have to say I have found a few important things to consider.

  1. Have a plan. For the last few weeks I have woken up and done very little. I have had things to do but never a plan to do them. This is not to say I am suggesting you plan everything in you life to the second but rather give yourself deadlines till you find work.
  2. Find work. I personally need someone or something to help me have structure to my day. Without some sort of structure you give over to going to bed at 3:00 AM and eating pizza-tacos.
  3. Don't fall for scams. I have joined Linkedin.com and Monster.com and both have filled my in-boxes with trash for insurance fraud salesmen positions. Don't give in! I almost fell for one. It took a Google search for their number on the caller ID--not the one they gave me--to see that they were a scam.
This is not by any means a How-To of after college life but rather some of the things I have fallen to. I have started to get back on my feet and have gotten a few things published (see my nifty hall of publication up top). I am however long from having all of my dreams fulfilled.

I sent a manuscript off a week ago only to have it returned with the reason being no forwarding address. I was a little discouraged but sent a second electronic submission.

I did become an Examiner for Examiner.com and will hopefully be updating my progress as a professional blogger. Also I am now doing the Ebay thing for some of my family's collected treasures. So fingers crossed on not having to get a real job.

I will continue my exploration of creating a fantasy religion next. Till then!

No comments:

Post a Comment